Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Positives of Comparing Myself to Others

A few days ago, I stumbled upon the Photographic Height Weight chart, which takes submissions by real people of their full body photographs and puts them into the chart at the corresponding height and weight.

At 125 lbs, I took a look at both my height at 120 lbs and at 130 lbs and was astonished to see how good all of these women looked! It made me realize that I am much, much too harsh on myself; I am not as fat as I think I am!

It's one thing to compare yourself to other women on the street and find everything perfect about them and everything imperfect about yourself; it's another thing entirely to compare yourself to people at the same body measurements as you and realize that all your criticisms about your own body are moot. After all, never in a million years would I look at these ladies and think of them as 'fat', and here I am, glaring at my belly fat and my tree trunk legs and telling myself that I am!

And so, another picture of me standing on my toilet seat in the bathroom, fully clothed this time.

I am not as fat as I think I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment