Friday, June 24, 2011

Couscous Salad

Well, I think I finally came up with something that I think I can regularly enjoy: a couscous salad! Last week, I tried a modified version of dinnertime quinoa (recipe to come) but with couscous instead. It was not as flavorful as I would have liked. Maybe because I didn't use enough hummus? (I ran out.)

Anyway, I decided to use it as a topping for salad, but while at Whole Foods I went a little crazy, like I always do. What resulted was this:


Couscous Mixture:
* Couscous
* Chopped green bell peppers
* Chopped red bell peppers
* Cherry tomatoes
* Hummus
* Crumbled goat cheese

1. Prepare the couscous as directed on the package. I didn't add salt or butter, which was probably why the mixture by itself wasn't very satisfying taste-wise.

2. Chop up the vegetables.

3. Mix everything in with the couscous.


Salad:
* Mixed greens
* Sprouts
* Couscous mixture (warmed)
* Crumbled goat cheese

1. On top of the mixed greens, layer up the sprouts, the warmed couscous mixture, and the crumbled goat cheese.

2. Enjoy!

A perfect summertime meal! Off to the side is a salmon spread I found while at Whole Foods, which was a great complement to the meal.


There are no measurements to these because I really didn't measure anything out. Everything at your own discretion!

Also, for fun, I signed up for the PALA Challenge. It seems like it's a great motivator to get people to work out: for adults, in order to win the challenge, you have to work out for at least 30 minutes a day, five times a week, for six weeks. You actually have eight weeks to complete the challenge, which gives you a couple of weeks "off."

Considering I work out, on average, six times a week for at least an hour, I should be okay. It's one more thing to convince me not to slack off during my marathon training, anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment